06 October 2009

Introduction

I began knitting around December 23, 2008. My sister had decided she wanted to start knitting and I had nothing better to do, so I thought I would join her. We went to Wal-Mart and purchased a starting knitting kit that included the worst knitting instructions ever, and had patterns and pictures that would only have been okay in the eighties. We also bought a couple skeins of Red Heart yarn and were on our way.

It didn't take us long to realize that the book we bought was horrible. We sat on my sister's bed trying to decipher the tiny diagrams and eventually gave up and went to You Tube. We were able to find some adequate videos that taught us to cast on, knit, and purl.

One day my grandmother came over and she showed us how to purl (we weren't really getting it from the videos) and she also showed us a couple kinds of ribbing. I ended up with a long skinny piece of fabric with several different knit and purl stitch patterns that I eventually ended up giving to the next door neighbor's baby who apparently really liked it (most likely for teething).

My first actual projects were dishcloths--the tradition "grandma's favorite" followed by one with chevrons and another with a butterfly. Then, sometime near the end of January I decided I wanted to knit something for an old friend who was having a baby. What did I choose? A blanket. That, however, deserves it's own story.

I have become obsessed with knitting. It started as something I chose to do out of boredom and didn't take long to become "what I do."

No comments:

Post a Comment